Saturday, June 23, 2018

I don't know this country anymore.

I started this blog years ago in the midst of Hurricane Katrina.  I was so upset about what was happening and I had to get my anger out somewhere, so I started writing about it.  My first post was on September 2, 2005.  Almost 13 years of posting--mostly about racial issues.  NEVER would I have thought it would have gotten as bad as this.  I thought Bush was bad, but compared to who is in the White House now, Bush looks exemplary, and I never thought I would say that.

I'm probably going to ramble but I have so many thoughts about what got us to this place.  For one, the racism and white supremacy that America has been built upon has always been there. Some white people want to say, "But oh, it's gotten sooo much better."  Bullshit.  Maybe for those of you who never have to fucking deal with it.  I am SICK of people saying "I don't see color."  Do you know how IGNORANT you sound?  I am SICK of people saying they are NOT racist, yet they DON'T SPEAK UP when their in-laws say racist shit.  If you don't speak up EVERY SINGLE TIME, then you are a coward who is complicit in furthering white supremacy.  You are putting your comfort and your relationships with white people ahead of the humanity of people of color by allowing them to put down people of color and not saying anything.  You are complicit in maintaining the status quo.

I don't understand people of color who voted for Donald Trump.  Is that some kind of internalized racism?  I don't understand white people who have people of color in their family who voted for Donald Trump.  Donald Trump is a straight up racist.  If you voted for Donald Trump, you knew he was a racist, therefore you supported his racism, which makes you a racist.  It's as simple as that.  If you hated Hillary Clinton, I don't care, but you didn't have to vote for a racist, sexist, misogynistic, lying, xenophobic bigot like Trump.  You knew what he was and voted for him anyway.  So that makes you responsible for the mess we're in now.

Trump will be forever defined as the one (I will NEVER refer to him as the POTUS) who traumatized infants and children and used them as pawns.  He will NEVER live this down.  And everyone around him who defends this will also pay the price. Some say that this time he crossed the line.  I believe he crossed the line a long time ago with his ridiculous birtherism accusations.  Yet the uneducated deplorables of this country felt he represented them (he actually doesn't give a flying fuck about them--he just likes the adulation, but they don't know any better).

Now the racists and bigots have come out from under their rocks and everyday you read about a person of color being harassed by some white loser who is unhinged.  It's already happened to me four times.  These people blame their lack of success on people of color, they're so threatened by successful people of color, they hate immigrants, they say immigrants are taking their jobs--okay, then if you're not willing to educate yourself, then go work in the fields, clean hotel rooms, but oh no, you're too good for that, huh?  These losers make me sick.  It's not surprising that most of the white college educated people voted for Clinton.

And for those of you who live in oblivion, happily living your lives, not worried about anything because you think it doesn't affect you, well, I hope that one day someone doesn't take away your rights.  You're living in a bubble, so don't say I didn't warn you if that bubble is popped some day.  I guess ignorance is bliss.

No comments: